[e2e] TCP, retransmissions, and ISPs with byte caps

grenville armitage gja at ureach.com
Tue Jun 18 07:40:18 PDT 2002

David P. Reed wrote:
	[..]
 > Note that packet losses also cause the TCP to send more slowly, which
 > reduces the cost to the user in either case:

I wonder how true that would be for the "think, think, point,
click, <generate burst of TCP traffic>, repeat" crowd?

The slow down due to retransmissions is probably swamped
by the duration of each "think, think" phase, consequently
I suspect there'd be little noticable reduction in
the user's attempted consumption of network content.

cheers,
gja
--
Grenville Armitage