[e2e] Policing TCP flows

Greg Minshall minshall at acm.org
Sat Jun 22 09:30:52 PDT 2002

Dennis,

(Mark Handley pointed out to me that my math was faulty, and the 1/5th RTT
implies 25 times the number of packets dropped, based on the "TCP equation".)

> I'll buy the factor, but I think there's something wrong that attributing
> great importance to small factors like that

i agree.  i'm not trying to bash policers.  i like policers.  if there's an
argument about this point, you're having it with someone else.

> If you make minimizing congestion control packet loss rates your primary
> measure of goodness you'll end up concluding that infinite buffering and
> infintesimal MSSes are optimum, and that can't be right.

yes, absolutely.  i go so far as to say "i *like* dropping packets".

however, i think it is *natural* for people, in general, to consider that
dropping a packet is "a bad thing".  your arguments of the absurdities help
convince people otherwise.  as you go on to say, the goal is to keep the pipes
filled, hopefully in a "fair" way.  the way we have chosen to do this, the way
we think works and is cost effective, involves dropping packets (both as a
signaling mechanism -- a role ECN may at least partially subsume -- and as a
load shedding mechanism).  i'm not talking to Dennis now, but it is incumbent
on us to make the case that there's nothing wrong with an honestly dropped
packet.  (that's the "high order bit"; lower order bits include the work done
up to the point the packet is dropped, trying not to let the pipe drain after
the packet has been dropped, blah, blah, blah.)

> If you have
> both policers and shapers attempting to do this then over longer delay paths
> I think you'll find that both end up at a drop rate which differs by only
> a small factor, and which as a fraction of the packets being sent is
> quite modest in either case.  It is only on paths with a very short
> uncongested round trip that the policer loss rate starts to look stupid.

"small factor" can cover a multiple of multiples.  i think quite naturally
(though incorrectly), people (sys admins, say) dislike dropping packets.  if
they see even a factor of 2, they will complain ("you're *doubling* the bad
metric!").  and, they may see a factor of 25 in a real world situation
(assuming i've got the maths right).  i think for most people, 25 isn't a
"small factor".  thus, i think one can't say "it's a small factor, forget
about it".  i think (back on my soap box) one has to explain that dropping
packets is neither inherently good nor inherently bad.

(some other time i'd love to discuss "everyone 'knows' what [a real queue]
should behave like"...)

cheers, Greg