[e2e] Outliers of delays on the last (wireless) hop and the Internet

Vasilis Friderikos vasilis.friderikos at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 5 04:25:39 PST 2002

I know that the topic that I will touch in the next few lines is more close related to the PILC list, but the end2end list (traditionally) has a more wider scope. There is a lot of research effort to characterize the TCP performance in the last wireless hop ( a lot of solutions[which some of them break the end-to-end principle]) but it seems that there is a lack of more realistic performance evaluation where both the Internet and wireless dynamics are taken into account. Mobile hosts which are connected to a Web server which is let's say 20-25 hops away will experience both kind of dynamics. So, it seems to me that we can characterize the profile of this delay by a convolution of the delays in the Internet and those due to the fluctuations on the wireless link (even though there is no such global pdf that express the delays on the Internet,[i.e NLANR active measurements].But, I'm not aware of  pdf's of the delays on the last hop for different access schemes( pdf that take into account the specific MAC used,ARQ, transmission,coding-decoding).Also,concerning TCP issues, a knowledge of possible outliers, the frequency of these outliers together with the dynamics of the delays on the Internet would give a better (I think) understanding of TCP{flavours} performance. If there is a work that combines these two "worlds" I would like to be aware of. Thanks in advance.

Vasilis