[e2e] Applications with UDP checksum disabled

Joerg Micheel joerg at cs.waikato.ac.nz
Sat Mar 9 12:58:46 PST 2002

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 02:34:49PM -0600, John Kristoff wrote:
> I'm looking for information regarding which applications (or OSes)
> typically disable UDP checksums, perhaps by default.  Does anyone
> have a definite list or at least want to identify ones they know
> about?

Early versions of SunOS did that on NFS servers, to gain performance,
until they discovered that this was a Bad Idea (tm) as you need some
form of e-2-e integrity check. The particular problem discovered was
that while you have FCS with Ethernet, some bus data transfers to or
from the Ethernet card can be corrupted, which will screw up your
data storage on the server.

A good start might also be the SIGCOMM2000 paper "when the checksums
don't match", I believe Craig Partridge was one of the authors.

	Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg at cs.waikato.ac.nz>
WAND and NLANR MOAT			Email: <joerg at nlanr.net>