[e2e] RE: Where can I find statistics data on traffic over current high speed internet?

Griffeth, Nancy D (Nancy) nancyg at lucent.com
Wed Mar 20 07:11:29 PST 2002

Jing,

Try the following link:

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/ms/departments/sia/wsc/
<http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/ms/departments/sia/wsc/>

Bill Cleveland has been working with UNC and others to develop accurate
traffic models of the
internet.  He has some recent results, that show that in the backbone
network the Internet
is less bursty than has been believed.  The relevant papers are:

``Internet Traffic: Statistical Multiplexing Gains'', DIMACS Workshop on
Internet and WWW
Measurement, Mapping and Modeling, 2002.
`The Effect of Statistical Multiplexing on the Long Range Dependence of
Internet Packet Traffic'',
Bell Labs Tech Report, 2002 .
``On the Nonstationarity of Internet Traffic'', Proc. ACM SIGMETRICS `01,
102-112, 2001

You can download these papers from the Web site, above.

Nancy Griffeth