[e2e] Re: [Sigtran] Routing for multi-homed host traffic

Brian F. G. Bidulock bidulock at openss7.org
Mon May 6 19:44:57 PDT 2002

Xiaoming,

Your question should be posted on tsvwg at ietf.org rather than sigtran.

The Strong ES model has to do with routing, not source address selection
for multhomed hosts.  The Strong ES model determines the gateway by
considering the source address.  Under Linux you can turn on a number of
advanced routing options which takes the source IP address into
consideration when routing a packet.  This has nothing to do with 2)
which is selecting a source address to place in the packet.

Now, RFC3257 considers only a Weak ES model.  This is because,
regardless of RFC1122, our A-D deflected Strong ES model considerations
for SCTP stating that they were "the stuff of research".  So, in
RFC3257, when it talks about source address selection, it is indicating
that the source address in the outgoing packet should be an address of
the interface resulting from the Weak ES Model routing algorithm
(subject to binding constraints: meaning that the address must be a
valid source address for the association).

What you are looking for, I believe is really as follows:  SCTP provides
in the ULP interface a mechanism whereby the ULP can provide a
destination address associated with a given transmission.  The sockets
sendmsg(2) interface supports this.  The OpenGroup STREAM XTI/TPI also
supports this with the T_OPTDATA_REQ.  Therefore, one can associate a
destination address with your QoS message in some implementations.
Also, IP_OPTIONS can be specified with sendmsg(2)  and t_optdata() to
provide for constrained routing or at least to provide the first-hop
gateway address (not generating any options in the outgoing packet).
So, by specifying the destination address and first-hop gateway address
in the sendmsg(2) call an implementation could be made to do what you
want it to do: select the first gateway address and route a specific
packet to its destination via that address.

The short of it is, I believe, that you don't want to specify the source
address, you want to specify the destination and gateway address.  You
can still select the source address of the outbound interface selected
to the Weak ES Model, it is just that you bypass gateway selection by
specifying the first-hop gateway address.

--brian

Xiaoming Fu wrote:                                       (Mon, 06 May 2002 01:31:07)