[e2e] [Fwd: State of MPLS deployments today]

Ping Pan pingpan at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Oct 3 16:59:58 PDT 2002

David,

You're right. I take that back. In fact, given that MPLS path setup is
pre-determined at edge (or an "end"), there are a number of methods that
you can apply to compute the "best" route across the network. Or the
"ends" can monitor end-to-end traffic pattern and feed such information
to operators for future traffic management. Or the "ends" can perform
traffic flow aggregation into MPLS trunks. If you don't have to worry
about 50 msec circuit recovery constraints, you can interface with
routing protocols to fast-reroute traffic...

BTW, stop thinking it as an ATM technology. Think of it as a logical
interface that you can pump IP traffic into. :-)

Take care!

- Ping