[e2e] how far it queues?

SERBAN Rares serban_rares at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 4 09:46:22 PDT 2002

Hi Alex,

You try to speak for a general case of QoS. In my
opinion we speak about QoS just for specific cases:
network topology, applications used in the network,
administrative policies, etc. Each network
administator knows the "weakness points" of the
network and applies QoS methods to "cache" those
points.
The answer for you is: QoS in a particular network
depends of the skills and the experience of the
network administrator.And to not forget at least the
marketing department who does presure on network
administrator to preserve the present and the future
agreements.;)

Cheers,

R.

--- "Alexandre L. Grojsgold" <algold at rnp.br> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I´ve got a few answers to my first posting, that can
> be summed up to:
>
> - QoS benefits are questionable;
>
> - it is only noticeable and/or useful when
> congestion arises.
>

> I did not really mean to launch a discussion on QoS
> - I know the subject is highly controversial, and
>largely discussed before.
>

> So, lets put QoS apart for a while, lets assume that
> no way exists to actively manage router queues, and
>that the only way that packets can be forwarded is by
>sending them in a first come first served basis. And
>that no effort is done to differently serve
individual > flows.

> Lets assume also that we run a "standard"  backbone
> network, made out ou routers of a popular brand and
>of hi capacity deterministic links. And that looking
>at traffic statistics we see that instataneous mean
>traffic (the traffic reported by the router itself
>over a 5 minutes period) never exceeds 80% of the
>maximum bandwidth, event at most busy hours.
>

> Looks like a healthy network, doesn´t it? Quite
> probably web browsing users will feel happy, and
have >no reason to blame the core of the network.