[e2e] [Fwd: State of MPLS deployments today]

Ping Pan pingpan at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Oct 4 12:57:38 PDT 2002

Hmmmm... narrow application? :-) Yes, MPLS with RSVP-TE could be used
for better network resource management, aka traffic engineering. But in
some of today's big backbones, where only approximately 10% of the
overall bandwidth is in-use, and ton's of dark fibers are around,
traffic engineering is obviously not carrier's first priority.

However, MPLS is currently provding two very critical applications.

MPLS VPN will transport carrier's IP and non-IP traffic through the same
network. MPLS VPN is essentially doing what ATM and Frame Relay circuits
had done everywhere several years ago. This is every carrier's
bread-and-butter service. Managing such service is not easy.... Yes,
some of MPLS VPN implementation can be very difficult to use. But let
developers iron out the problems.

Given MPLS is building circuits over the network, high-availability is a
key focus. (By comparison, just take a look at each carrier's budget on
transport equipment gears for protection and restoration). MPLS can
provide redundancy efficiently. By the way, let's set the record
straight: MPLS fast reroute is not complex and expensive. In my past
life, our implementation can switch several thousands of LSP's within 50
msec without much CPU disturbance on routers. It's not that complicated.

Regards,

- Ping