[e2e] [Fwd: State of MPLS deployments today]

Naidu, Venkata Venkata.Naidu at Marconi.com
Fri Oct 4 10:45:24 PDT 2002

Jennifer,

-> Nicely put.  Still, this kind of medium-to-long time scale TE doesn't
-> necessarily require the flexibility (and associated complexity) of
-> MPLS and the TE extensions to OSPF/IS-IS.  Tuning the
-> configuration of
-> conventional IP routing protocols (like OSPF/IS-IS with "static" link
-> weights set at the network-management timescale) can often get you
-> very close to the "optimal" distribution of traffic achievable with
-> explicit routes.  For a recent survey of work on this approach, see
->
->   http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/papers/ieeecomm02.pdf
->
-> from the October 2002 issue of IEEE Communication Magazine.  This is
-> not to say that MPLS can't "add value" but rather that it is not
-> strictly necessary for good traffic engineering.

  We have had the same discussion before in TE-WG, IRTF-RRG.
  I don't agree with what you said. Interested people can
  follow the below interesting thread:

  http://www.psg.com/lists/te-wg/te-wg.2001/msg00083.html

  I am sure, as a consequence of our above discussion,
  TE Hybrid approach draft is written:

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/02mar/I-D/draft-wang-te-hybrid-approach-00.t
xt

--