[e2e] [Fwd: State of MPLS deployments today]

Dmitri Krioukov dima at krioukov.net
Fri Oct 4 15:20:18 PDT 2002

On one hand (routing protocols), we have a requirement
for a management system (and in many cases, it is based
on those "night scripts"). On the other hand (MPLS), we
have a set of control mechanisms that are already provided.

The theoretical part of TE problem formulation and
solution also look simpler (especially from the
operational standpoint) in the MPLS case.

The question that really remains at the end is how
it's done -- namely, is this MPLS end really irrelevant
to end2end? :) After all, this is the only part that may
have unpleasant long-term consequences.

I'd say that a better position would be to avoid
obviously confusing discussion about ever-changing
MPLS justifications (look how many are surprised that
MPLS solves problems it was not designed to solve and
does not solve problems it was designed to solve :)
but to consider it as something given, as a sort of "external
constraint" (originated in the wonders of the marketing/
business world, maybe :)
--
dima.