[e2e] how to control the traffic rate below a defined value at the network node????

Xiaolin Chang changxl at ust.hk
Tue Oct 8 14:07:00 PDT 2002

Dear all,
could someone tell me how to control the rate of a flow ( I mean to force the rate to below a certain value )at a network node along the transmission path? Is it right to buffer the traffic with rate higher than allowed value and then when the buffer overflow , dropping is applied. Is it the only way?  Is there a way to avoid dropping and at the same time control flow rate at the network node?

Thanks in advance