[e2e] how to control the traffic rate below a defined value at the network node????

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Tue Oct 8 12:28:14 PDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 11:30:22AM -0700, Greg Minshall wrote:
> i think Packeteer (sp?) used a method (probably patented by them?) in which
> they would pace the returning *ACK* stream (in the reverse direction), which
> would cause the rate of transmission in the forward direction to slow down.
> that seemed clever.

I also thought that the packeteer-like approach was very clever,
so once i sat down trying to implement it in dummynet.

Then i realised (fortunately before writing any additional code)
that since acks are generated in response to incoming data, you
achieve exactly the same result by pacing incoming data (before the
stack has a chance to see them, as dummynet does) or outgoing acks.

This also saved patent-related hassles :)

	cheers
	luigi