[e2e] Number of persistent connections per HTTP server?

Spencer Dawkins sdawkins at cynetanetworks.com
Wed Oct 9 15:07:07 PDT 2002

>From the HTTP base spec http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt,
I'm reading (in section 8.1.4):

	"Clients that use persistent connections SHOULD
	limit the number of simultaneous connections
	that they maintain to a given server. A single-user
	client SHOULD NOT maintain more than 2 connections
	with any server or proxy."

My questions are:

- Was anyone on this list involved in picking the number "2"?

- Is this still the right number for today's networks?

I'm looking at two current browsers that open four connections
to proxies, for instance. Is there research that says "4" is now
the right number?

Thanks for any clues you can sprinkle on my head!

Spencer