[e2e] Number of persistent connections per HTTP server?

Spencer Dawkins sdawkins at cynetanetworks.com
Thu Oct 10 08:10:56 PDT 2002

A couple of weeks ago, we were looking at the Mozilla source code, and tripped over http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.0/source/netwerk/protocol/http/src/nsHttpHandler.cpp, which (today - it does change!) includes

114     , mMaxConnections(24)
115     , mMaxConnectionsPerServer(8)
116     , mMaxPersistentConnectionsPerServer(2)
117     , mMaxPersistentConnectionsPerProxy(4)

and (later in the same file)

939     PRUint8 maxPersistentConnections =
940         ci->UsingHttpProxy() ? mMaxPersistentConnectionsPerProxy
941                              : mMaxPersistentConnectionsPerServer;

So it looked (from 50,000 feet) like Mozilla 1.0 does make a distinction between number of persistent connections to a server and number of persistent connections to a proxy. No, I haven't been through the code enough to know how far the implementation goes with this thought - but it seems to be part of the plan.

Mozilla seems to be implementing features like HTTP request pipelining, so this didn't surprise us a lot - we're just curious what science is behind the distinction between "number of connections per server" and "number of connections per proxy".

Any pointers?

Spencer

(And, as an aside - the last posting on the HTTP mailing list was in September of last year - is there a more appropriate place to ask conceptual questions about HTTP mapping to TCP connections?)