[e2e] Number of persistent connections per HTTP server?

Spencer Dawkins sdawkins at cynetanetworks.com
Thu Oct 10 12:30:16 PDT 2002

Hi, Venkat,

It makes sense to me that, if spreading files across multiple servers to force more parallel direct persistent connections is useful, clients using proxies would also open more connections just to keep up.

I think the analogy becomes "if all the traffic goes on one highway, it should have more than two lanes".

I'm just looking for any empirical evidence that anyone is aware of, that "more than two lanes" is OK for deployment on the general Internet.

Spencer