[e2e] Number of persistent connections per HTTP server?

Jim.Gettys at hp.com Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Sun Oct 13 07:25:25 PDT 2002

> Mozilla seems to be implementing features like HTTP request pipelining, so
> this didn't surprise us a lot - we're just curious what science is behind the
> distinction between "number of connections per server" and "number of
> connections per proxy".
>
> Any pointers?

The working group archives.

There is a fairness issue: a proxy is usually acting on behalf of many
users.  So it should be able to get correspondingly more bandwidth out of
the network, in proportion to the number of users of the proxy.  So if
10 users are accessing a web site through a proxy, it ought to be allowed
to get 10 times the bandwidth of an individual.

> Spencer
>
> (And, as an aside - the last posting on the HTTP mailing list was in
> September of last year - is there a more appropriate place to ask conceptual
> questions about HTTP mapping to TCP connections?)

The mailing list moved last year: it is still active.
                            - Jim