[e2e] Number of persistent connections per HTTP server?

Qiaobing Xie Qiaobing.Xie at Motorola.com
Mon Oct 14 14:59:40 PDT 2002

Joe Touch wrote:
> > I seem to missing some information on why muxing at the IP layer does away
> > with priority inversion as opposed with muxing on the transport layer. Whose
> > priority (and where) is inverted?
> > This isn't clear to me. Could you elaborate a bit?
>
> See:
> D. Tennenhouse, "Layered Multiplexing Considered Harmful", Protocols for
> High-Speed Networks, 1989.
>
> Muxing is required at the IP layer. Adding muxing above it, inside the
> application, creates a layering that can cause a number of problems.

Hmmm, this seems to put the HTTP application into a hopeless situation -
not to mux, you get the head-of-line blocking problem that is
practically harmful towards the web users' experience; to mux, you get
the theoretical "harmful layered mux problems" (towards the network
bandwidth efficiency, I guess) :-)

-Qiaobing