[e2e] Mixed ECN and Non-ECN traffic flows.

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Fri Oct 18 07:57:03 PDT 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:34:37 -0400, "David P. Reed" <dpreed at reed.com> said:
> At 09:33 AM 10/11/2002 -0700, Christian Huitema wrote:
>> This looks like a good thing to me. After all, we need some incentive
>> for people to deploy ECN... As long as the ECN capable flows do not tend
>> to actually exclude the non ECN flows, I believe that we are fine.

> Isn't there a Constitutional amendment that prohibits discrimination
> based on religion?   :-)

> Seriously, though, will any major OS vendor deploy ECN this century?

Depends on your definitions of "major", "OS vendor", and "deploy this
century".

My Sun workstation, running Solaris 9, does seem to support ECN (I can
say "ndd /dev/tcp tcp_ecn_permitted" and it responds with "1",
whatever that means).

My laptop, running the Linux 2.4 kernel, also supports it and has done
so for some time... to the point that I think it may have been
deployed in the last century already.  I vaguely remember having had
to switch it off due to a broken middlebox between me and a server I
often use.

Support for some widely-used commercial routers is available too,
although I'm not sure whether this is present in any publicly released
versions yet (I could check).
--
Simon.