[e2e] Number of persistent connections per HTTP server?

Pradnya Karbhari pradnya at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 22 08:36:36 PDT 2002

Hi Jing,
Thank you for your interest in our paper. Here are the answers to your
queries...

The paper focuses on defining and achieving multipoint-to-point
session fairness, assuming we have global knowledge of link
capacities. We are currently working on a distributed version of the
algorithms, with limited knowledge at the end-hosts.

You have made a very good point about short-lived connections. In this
paper, we target static sessions in which connections start and end at
approximately the same time, and which are relatively long-lived. We
plan to extend this framework to dynamic sessions, with connections
starting and terminating at arbitrary times.

One way to prioritize particular connections within a session would be
to give a higher weight to those connections. So in your example, the
client could set a higher weight to the connections for the conference
application, and a much lower weight for the advertisement connection.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
-pradnya

Pradnya Karbhari
Networking and Telecommunications Group,
College of Computing, Georgia Tech
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~pradnya