[e2e] Is a non-TCP solution dead?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Apr 1 11:21:14 PST 2003

Keynote studied "intercarrier" SMS.   Since this has nothing whatsoever to
do with IP, I'm not sure why it is brought up.    Intercarrier connections
are almost certainly wired.   They almost certainly use store and forward
"email" style protocols.

SMS itself over the wireless link doesn't use IP, either.

I wouldn't use SMS intercarrier transport as a physical layer under
IP.   But then there is an IP for operation over carrier pigeons.   Why
not?   It could be made to "sort of" work.   And if ARPA funded such
research, there would be enough academics to optimize it.