[e2e] OT: a different number base

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Apr 2 05:16:01 PST 2003

Of course there is Babbage, who used precisely machined wheels that worked
in base 10.  I have a lovely (non electric, hand-cranked) WWII Monroe
calculator used in hydrodynamic calculations during the war - it is base
10, also.

The floating point units of System 360 worked using base 16 digits (at one
abstraction level).  I suspect this is not what you mean.

I believe the MIX computer in Knuth's books used base 10 logic, but I'm too
lazy to check.

Personally, I've always thought that the optimal digital system would be
use the number base negative 13