[e2e] OT: a different number base

Luigi Mori lm at intrinsic.it
Wed Apr 2 06:44:05 PST 2003

At 12:46 +0530 2-04-2003, Alok Dube wrote:
>Hi,
>
>can anyone pass me links onto digital systems working on different number
>bases..like lets say hex instead of binary..
>Im looking for an implementation where we can find systems with number
>bases like 4, 16 etc.... where each device is charecterised by 4 or 16
>states etc..
>
>are there any working models of the same?
>
>or is there any literature one can lookup for the same?
>

>-rgds
>Alok

Here you can find some references about base-3:
http://www.americanscientist.org/Issues/Comsci01/Compsci2001-11.html

Base 10 has been used (maybe by Von Neumann also ?).
There is some ongoing work on a decimal floating point standard:
http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/decimal/

On using other bases for floating point:
http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/work/richard.brent/pub/pub017.html

Regards,
Luigi Mori