[e2e] OT: a different number base

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Apr 2 08:06:02 PST 2003

PL/I had two number bases in its formal abstract semantic definition,
decimal and binary.   If you read the original "abstract semantics" specs
documents published by IBM in about 1969 (I don't think I have mine
anymore, I bet I could find one through friends though) they REALLY tried
very hard to make sure that the float decimal and fixed decimal data types
emulated the quirks of decimal machines in terms of precision, etc.