[e2e] OT: a different number base

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Wed Apr 2 09:41:14 PST 2003

Burroughs, perhaps more, had biquinary machines too, based on a triggered
glow-discharge tube that allowed one to read the state of each biquint merely
by looking at the top of each glass tube.  The decimal display tubes, known as
Nixies, derived from the technology, though weren't storage devices
themselves.

I believe base 12 has been favored as the best base, because it has so many
divisors.

Alex