[e2e] Is a non-TCP solution dead?

Hans Kruse kruse at ohio.edu
Thu Apr 3 12:19:48 PST 2003

But a windows file transfer (over TCP or any other transport), does use
SMB/CIFS/RPC, it is always part of the stack.  (Unless you mean that you
are transfering via FTP?).

--On Thursday, April 03, 2003 09:43 -0800 Cannara <cannara at attglobal.net>
wrote:

> Jonathan, no, I'm not referring to what you term RPC/CIFS.  That behavior
> would clearly be inefficient whatever the transport.  I'm referrring to an
> ordinary file transfer, say from an NT server to a workstation, where
> TCP/IP is the installed stack.  This has been a common config ever since
> Microsoft began shipping TCP/IP.  The same behavior can be seen with
> other NOS transactions, such as large SQL exchanges.  On NFS, you must
> have misinterpreted what I meant -- NFS uses block exchanges as does SMB.
> Both can also, of course, have simple, 2-pkt exchanges.

Hans Kruse, Associate Professor
J. Warren McClure School of Communication Systems Management
Adjunct Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Ohio University, Athens, OH, 45701
740-593-4891 voice, 740-593-4889 fax