[e2e] RFC 1323

Hans Kruse kruse at ohio.edu
Fri Apr 4 05:44:37 PST 2003

--On Friday, April 04, 2003 12:04 +0530 alok <alok.dube at apara.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> in the above RFC
>
> on page 14
> A)  Delayed ACKs.
>
>            Many TCP's acknowledge only every Kth segment out of a group
>            of segments arriving within a short time interval; this
>            policy is known generally as "delayed ACKs".  The data-sender
>            TCP must measure the effective RTT, including the additional
>            time due to delayed ACKs, or else it will retransmit
>            unnecessarily.  Thus, when delayed ACKs are in use, the
>            receiver should reply with the TSval field from the earliest
>            unacknowledged segment.
>

> does this "K" decide window size?

No.  The window size is set independently, and is typically much larger
than K.

> is a window defined as a "collection of segments which is retransmitted in
> case of no ack in a stipulated period"?

No.  A window defines the amount of data that can be sent before any
acknowledgement is seen.  Modern TCP rarely retransmits an entire window.

I suggest Douglas Comer, "Internetworking with TCP/IP", Prentice Hall,
1991; Chapter 12

> -thanks and rgds
> Alok

Hans Kruse, Associate Professor
J. Warren McClure School of Communication Systems Management
Adjunct Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Ohio University, Athens, OH, 45701
740-593-4891 voice, 740-593-4889 fax