[e2e] Accuracy achievable with NTP

Saad Biaz sbiaz at eng.auburn.edu
Thu Apr 10 09:53:36 PDT 2003

Woojune:

It is not the delay RANGE that hinders precise clock synchronization,
it is the UNCERTAINTY on the delay that matters.

Given a network of hosts, you must MEASURE the UNCERTAINTY on the delay
between all hosts. Then find the diameter D of your network with edges
weighted with the UNCERTAINTY (highest delay - lowest delay).

Your worst case imprecision on the clocks will be  1/2 D (Diameter).
Your average imprecision depends on the distribution of the uncertainty.

For a formal proof, check:

S. Biaz and Jennifer L. Welch, "Closed form Bounds for Clock
Synchronization under Simple Uncertainty Assumptions".