[e2e] pathrate & pathload

Constantine Dovrolis dovrolis at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Apr 10 13:48:35 PDT 2003

We would like to announce a new release of our bandwidth
estimation tools: pathrate and pathload. Pathrate measures
end-to-end capacity (aka bottleneck bandwidth), while
Pathload measures end-to-end available bandwidth.

Both tools are available at:

	http://www.pathrate.org

The major differences in the new versions:

Pathrate - 2.3.0
----------------
* The tool has been also tested in Gigabit Ethernet paths. We added
functionality to deal with interrupt coalescion  at the receiver.
* A "quick termination" mode (option -Q) was added for an estimate
after just a few seconds. Useful for frequent light-weight measurements.
* Support for netlogger output format.

Pathload - 1.1.0
----------------
* The previous version was able to measure available bandwidth
only in the 2Mbps-120Mbps range. The latest version has been
successfully tested in both low bandwidth paths (dial-up, DSL,
cable modems), and in high bandwidth paths (OC-3, OC-12, GigEthernet).
If the receiver does interrupt coalescion, the tool can only
report a lower bound on the available bandwidth.
* The tool can now automatically choose an appropriate bandwidth
resolution (previously this was a user-specified parameter).
* Support for netlogger output format.

Enjoy,

Constantinos, Manish, and Ravi.