[e2e] Accuracy achievable with NTP

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Apr 11 08:41:59 PDT 2003

Saad's point is well worth thinking about.   The question is ill
formed.  The accuracy of a clock stabilized and synchronized by NTP is in
principle relatively independent of the range of delays in the network.

NTP is, in itself, quite inaccurate.  But when you have a local clock, use
of NTP can get extremely precise synchronization if you understand what you
are doing.

If you think about it, when the roundtrip times are short, the accuracy is
very high, because the cause of variance is merely congestion, and a
short-round-trip by definition has minimal congestion in its noise
sources.   Weighting short round-trips heavily, and averaging over a long
baseline, allows you to synchronize a local clock's rate and deviation
quite accurately to the master clock.   Very much closer than the RTT/2.