[e2e] packet size distribution of Internet traffic

Nicolas Christin nicolas at cs.virginia.edu
Tue Apr 15 10:59:57 PDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Nicolas Christin wrote:

> For ease of internal scheduling, routers generally internally deal
> with fixed size cells

It has been brought to my attention that this statement was not entirely
correct. It should read "some types of routers internally deal with
fixed size cells". (See for instance "Reduced Complexity for Input
Buffered Switches" by Kar, Stiliadis, and Lakshman, Hot Interconnects
2000, for a discussion on this.) But there are obviously some routers
that do not fragment packets internally, and these routers appear to be
currently dominant on the market share. My mistake.

Best regards,
--
Nicolas