[e2e] The e2e cost of bandwidth

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Apr 21 18:19:05 PDT 2003

For a panel, I'm trying to get some quotable data on bandwidth
prices/costs for commercial users of modest size. (Thus, a DSL that's
oversubscribed 100:1 doesn't count.) So far, I'm finding mostly
breathless hype on how much bandwidth prices have fallen, but no real data.

To provide some counter-intuitive data that begs to be contradicted:
http://www.coop.net, a not-for-profit cooperative ISP in Colorado.
Courtesy of http://www.archive.org, has charged the following in the
past 7 years:

1996: $500/month
1998: $500/month
2000: $550/month
2001: $650/month
2002: $640/month ($555/month for 3-year contract)
2003: "as low as $555/month"

Their detailed 2003 prices are no longer available on the web.

(Their pricing model has changed over the years, but I tried to pick
reasonably comparable prices reflecting the second and onward year of
one-year contracts. This price does not include the telecom leased line
costs, which seem to have changed hardly at all.)

Clearly, this is only one set of data points, but since a T1 is mostly a
T1, one would imagine that the price is roughly in line with that
charged by competitors. If anybody has other data, even if it requires
removing the name of provider, please let me know.

Henning