[e2e] Is a non-TCP solution dead?

Spencer Dawkins spencer_dawkins at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 05:25:58 PDT 2003

Dear Alex,

Sorry, I was too cute to be clear. Let me try again.

Does anyone on this list have a trace of IP packets, marked as
TCP, that does not

(1) make a reasonable attempt to perform slow-start/congestion
avoidance at the beginning of a connection, and

(2) make a reasonable attempt to respond to packet loss by
reducing a congestion window?

I have seen recent (within six months) packet traces for a
commercial TCP that performs slow start and congestion
avoidance, blows fast retransmit, and then performs RTO-to-slow
start, but that's not the kind of thing I'm talking about.

I'm talking about unresponsive streaming media traffic that
carries TCP protocol numbers.

If the answer is "yes", I'm all ears. If the answer is "no" - I
don't see your point.

If a streaming-media sender puts streaming media on a TCP
connection to vault firewalls, it stops acting like streaming
media. Maybe this is evidence that people would use more
streaming media without TCP (and usually HTTP) tunneling if
there were no firewalls dropping UDP/RTP traffic, but it's not
evidence that "the amount of non-TCP traffic is increasing", in
any way that affects network stability.

And I don't understand why you think measurement tools are being
"fooled" if they identify traffic that's marked as TCP and acts
like TCP as TCP.

Hope this is more clear and less cute.

Spencer