[e2e] Is a non-TCP solution dead?

Rick Jones rick_jones2 at hp.com
Fri Apr 25 18:05:28 PDT 2003

> On the separate thread of making traffic 'CPU friendly' (e.g., saving
> Acks), just note that a full silicon TCP/IP implementation is becoming
> available and a full web server inside (yes inside) an RJ45 10/100
> Enet socket is now for sale @$33US in 10k quan.  CPUs should be no
> one's concern.

I take it you mean things like TOE?

Those things will be CPU friendly when all the issues about connection
failover and state preservation and multiple TOEs in a host (will we
have to start calling them feet?) and all that are worked-out. SMOP.

I suspect those things will still have maximum packet per second limits.
They might be so high as to be don't cares, but it isn't like there
won't be some limit.

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...