[e2e] Net-unfriendly solutions (was Is a non-TCP solution dead?)

Spencer Dawkins spencer_dawkins at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 14:00:59 PDT 2003

I'm not the hall monitor for TCP implementations, or for PEPs,
but I would add that I don't know how you put together an
architecture like this without TCP ack-spoofing. An unmodified
TCP sender isn't going to add packets to the network without
acks saying "packets have left the network", no matter how
cool(?) the protocol between PEPs might be.

And, as long as support for application-level command pipelining
is limited in widely-deployed browsers (for instance),
application-level ack-spoofing may be required as well.

There are applications with well-defined cache-interaction
semantics, but (for instance) I don't know how you tell SMTP
that the e-mail it just sent, and received acks for, was lost by
an ack-spoofing PEP, in any way that will result in a
non-user-initiated retransmission.

So, one wonders about NetLightning's effectiveness for anything
other than HTTP (are there other applications?)...

And NetLightning is not the first one I've seen (not to name
names)...

Spencer