[e2e] RTT estimation

Alhussein Abouzeid hussein at ecse.rpi.edu
Wed Apr 30 14:15:28 PDT 2003

You estimate RTT in order to set the RTO. I think you are looking for this:

S.W. Edge, "An adaptive timeout algorithm for retransmission across a packet
switching network," Computer Communications Review vol. 14, no. 2, p.248-55,
1984.

The paper is not online (as far as I could tell). While much work has been
done seen then,  it is worth a quick visit to the library since this paper
includes an analysis of the adaptive (exp. weighted) timeout mechanism
(specifically, as I recall, the delay subject to a given false timeout
probability). The analysis is not limited to a specific delay distribution,
but, as far as I recall, it assumes a stationary delay process and requires
certain conditions for the case of non-stationary delay.

Hope this helps.

Hussein
--www.ecse.rpi.edu/~abouza