[e2e] FYA

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Wed Apr 30 15:12:23 PDT 2003

  *> From end2end-interest-admin at postel.org  Wed Apr 30 14:30:52 2003
  *> From: Rick Jones <rick_jones2 at hp.com>
  *> To: end2end-interest at postel.org
  *> Subject: Re: [e2e] FYA
  *> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:25:19 -0700
  *>
  *> It would also be interesting to know how they intend to achieve
  *> "broadcast."  Assuming there was ISP support for multicasting they could
  *> I suppose try to define a multicast address/port one listens on, but
  *> then all the RIAA/MPAA would do would be get congress to give them
  *> authority to demand ISP's release IGMP traffic when presented with an
  *> administrative supeona (sp) and use that to obtain the actual IP
  *> addresses and apply a guilt by association argument.
  *>
  *> rick jones
  *> --
  *> Wisdom Teeth are impacted, people are affected by the effects of events.
  *> these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :)
  *> feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...
  *>

Or, we could adopt Steve Bellovin's clever idea [RFC 3514]: a new bit
in the IP header, the RipOff bit.  An end system would set this bit
in any packet that contains data that is violating a copyright.

Just the ticket, eh?

Bob Braden