[e2e] Is a control theoretic approach sound?

Shivkumar Kalyanaraman shivkuma at ecse.rpi.edu
Fri Aug 1 10:06:18 PDT 2003

The congestion adaptation takes place on the time scale of RTTs. If you
switch over to a longer RTT path or more congested path, or your window
size is mismatched to that path, you will do damage for at most 1 or 2
RTTs (orders of 10s-100s of milliseconds), whereas the expected time-scale
for routing change "under your feet" is in the order of 10s of seconds
minimum. Change in RTT (except in vegas-like schemes) can be detected
within an RTT; change in congestion or window mismatched is detected the
moment you lose a packet or bunch of packets.

i do not see a significant problem, unless the time-scale of routing
changes becomes smaller (100s of ms) and frequency of routing changes
increases dramatically. But this points to a poorly designed
routing protocol not a poorly designed congestion control scheme. So, as
congestion control people, we view this as out-of-scope for our robustness
considerations.

But to be fair on the paranoia: There is some danger of this kind of
routing behavior with the trend towards high frequency hellos, shorter
timers in routing protocols etc aiming for quicker routing convergence,
with unknown effects on routing stability/robustness. I know KK
Ramakrishnan at AT&T labs was doing a study of congestion control and
routing interactions (OSPF and BGP) on this particular topic.

-Shiv