[e2e] Is a control theoretic approach sound?

Saverio Mascolo mascolo at deemail.poliba.it
Mon Aug 4 07:37:43 PDT 2003

I would say that the queue dynamics is a linear positive systems (i.e. queue
lengths -and rates- are always greater or equal to zero ). Thus the
behaviour around zero length is linear!

The queue behaviour around queue capacity has a saturation, but , since the
goal of congestion control is to obtain a very low packet loss rate, this
implies that saturation is hit for short times. During saturation, the
behaviour can be modeled using a loss input rate, that is , the queue
dynamics can be modeled,  using the following  integrator:

queue=integral of (input rate-output rate-loss rate)

Saverio