[e2e] Nature mag, DARPA, and the Internet

J. Noel Chiappa jnc at ginger.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Aug 8 19:48:22 PDT 2003

    > From: Joe Touch <touch at ISI.EDU>

    > I agree that there's more - email, the web, mice, windows, etc. that
    > didn't originate with DARPA-funded work.

And, oh yeah, email - the first intra-computer email program was on CTSS -
don't know if that was DARPA-funded ("An Experimental Time-Sharing System",
by Corbato, Daggett, and Daley, from the 1962 SJCC doesn't mention who their
funders were), but the first inter-computer email was done by BBN as part of
the ARPAnet work.

	Noel