[e2e] Nature mag, DARPA, and the Internet

J. Noel Chiappa jnc at ginger.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Aug 8 19:37:26 PDT 2003

    > From: Joe Touch <touch at ISI.EDU>

    > I agree that there's more - email, the web, mice, windows, etc. that
    > didn't originate with DARPA-funded work.

Say what? The mouse? Douglas C. Engelbart did that Stanford Research
Institute, and according to:

    http://sloan.stanford.edu/mousesite/1968Demo.html

which is a wonderful thing to have online (the very famous public demo they
did at the 1968 Fall Joint Computer Conference in San Francisco) their
support included ARPA. More details here:

    http://www.rheingold.com/texts/tft/9.html

if you care. Of course, Doug may have had the idea before the ARPA funding
arrived - I think he was funded by the Air Force before that - but it doesn't
appear in his 1962 paper, "Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual
Framework".

	Noel