[e2e] Nature mag, DARPA, and the Internet

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sun Aug 10 08:51:30 PDT 2003

Multics had what was essentially an extensible, almost-object-oriented file
system.  That is, one could create objects that were accessible only to the
methods associated with the objects (enforced by the ring/domain protection
system).

Multics mailboxes were extended filesystem objects that contained messages
(typically email, but the mailboxes could also be used for interprocess
communication).   One could "append" a message to a mailbox, and read
messages and delete them, through the methods of the mailbox system.

At the lowest level, mailboxes were stored in files, but normal user APIs,
and the mail delivery system itself, could not access those files as files.

Access to the files were controlled by Access Control Lists, with separate
per-user/group entries that had permission bits for Append, Read, Write,
Delete, ...

Normally, as I recall, intra-machine messages were delivered directly into
the mailbox of the recipient by the sender.  The reason for this is that
one could use the ACL to specify who could access a mailbox for what.   For
example, you might let yourself have all access.   Your personal assistant
could have Read access, but not Delete.   Everybody might have Append
access, except for people you didn't like.

I don't remember what kinds of inter-system message delivery mechanism we
had prior to the ARPANET mail protocols.   I recall that we may have, but
they were certainly NOT general, because we didn't have a way to represent
general addresses outside the file system.   However, local mailboxes could
be used as standins for interoperation with remote ones, and it was
generally understood how to do this.

I believe that the major contribution of ARPANET email was in standardizing
addressing and contents across systems.