[e2e] IP options inserted in transit

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Wed Aug 20 01:21:12 PDT 2003

Folks,

I don't know if this makes a difference for your cost/benefit
discussion, but there is one thing I know for sure:

In general, option processing _DOES_ make quite a difference
for a large number of routers that are installed on the
Internet of today.

Over the last three weeks or so, we did some pings (with
and without a NOP option) with several thousands of hosts
across a large range of path lengths, the goal being to
figure out what "quite a difference" exactly means. What
is missing is a statistical analysis - a student is working
on it. We also have data from approx. 2 years ago, so we
will also try to find out if the situation has changed.

Cheers,
Michael

--
Michael Welzl <michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at>