[e2e] Question about fast path / slow path and IPv6

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Sat Aug 30 21:31:42 PDT 2003

Michael,

Note also that routers aren't the only elements in a path that can be affected
by IP options -- load balancers, firewalls, security gateways, etc. all
process pkts in much the same way as routers with respect to Layer 2, but
since they're built by a variety of vendors, using a variety of processing
hardware and architectures, and programmed by a variety of people, they may
well do things that appear very good or very poor when pkts with options
appear.

To get an assessment of what kinds of behaviors to expect, it's probably
worthwhile contacting some of the 3rd-party software vendors, like Level7, to
see how their Layer 2 code works in various almost-end systems.

Alex