[e2e] Addressing format...network and mask

Michael B Greenwald mbgreen at dsl.cis.upenn.edu
Mon Dec 1 08:43:48 PST 2003

   Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:51:47 +0530
   "Alok Dube" <alok.dube at apara.com>

   I need a way to propogate the 1st address and last address of a network.

   Incase i have 129 hosts in a network, i simply should propogate the 1st
   address and the last address (or the number of hosts) instead of the mask.

I'm not sure what you really need to do here, but if I understand
somewhat correctly, then why not just allocate two subnets, one with
128 hosts and one with 1 host?  If you are trying for a dense
allocation of addresses within the net, then, in the absolute worst
case, there will be 25% waste.  Usually, it will be much more densely
packed (no waste at all in your example of 129).