[e2e] Addressing format...network and mask

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Wed Dec 3 23:12:18 PST 2003

Alok Dube wrote:

> why do I have to stick to "bit boundaries"?
>
> they are meant for routers to lookup faster

They are the definition of Internet routes as well.

> ...so as long as i send them the
> "range" let the routing node make its lookup table as it sees fit for
> aligning to its bit boundaries...
>
> why is that a problem?

Bit boundaries aren't decided by the router; they are a property of the
route.

The definition of Internet forwarding is based on "longest prefix" -
which is undefined when there are multiple ranges overlap. Multiple
bit-boundary masks can't overlap and not have different lengths; length
determines which route is chosen.

The result (and the problem) is that you end up with nondeterministic
routing, unless you define a different (non-Internet) tie-breaker, e.g.,
smallest range AND lowest start-of-range. I.e., redefine Internet
forwarding.

Joe