[e2e] t/tcp and web services

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Fri Dec 12 00:11:24 PST 2003

David,

Many thanks for your quick reply! It's just the kind
of answer I was looking for.

As for persistent connections - I agree that they're
a good thing, but in the context of web services, I
guess that they only increase efficency when it comes
to bulk data transmission (result from a web service,
or several parameters containing arrays etc.).

Still, a web service is mainly a RPC - so there is
still quite a reason to worry about the single-shot
requests. Wouldn't a more secure variant of T/TCP
that utilizes cookies (as in SCTP), nonces and
such be worth thinking about? Or is that just
impossible because of T/TCP's very nature?

Another obvious efficiency problem is the fact
that binary data is carried over SOAP over HTTP...
is that being worked on by somebody?

What I would like to see is some sort of "web service
transport protocol". SCTP may be a good match, though...

Best regards,
Michael

--
Michael Welzl <michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at>