[e2e] t/tcp and web services

Marcel Waldvogel marcel at wanda.ch
Sat Dec 13 14:28:03 PST 2003

I agree that persistent connections are a good thing. The advantage of
T/TCP (or a future, improved, protocol) is that multiplexing is handled
by the OS. Unrelated processes (or processes trying to avoid
synchronization overhead or head-of-line blocking) still need to perform
a three-way handshake to a peer host they are already communicating with.

This will get worse once people recall that there are other ports
besides 80 over which to communicate. (I still (naively?) hope that the
"allow only HTTP through firewalls" and the "tunnel everything over
HTTP" groups will eventually realize their conflicting goals.)

-Marcel