[e2e] Queue size of routers

Joerg Micheel joerg at nlanr.net
Fri Jan 17 14:15:41 PST 2003

Gentlemen,

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 08:55:07PM +0100, Michael Welzl wrote:
> I'm serious - I know that a delay*bw queue length is just
> right if, for example, you suddenly fill the capacity of a
> dumbbell bottleneck in a simulation with new flows and
> don't want some of the initial packets to be dropped,
> thereby eliminating a potential traffic phase effect. But
> is that a good choice for a backbone router?

My understanding of this configuration is that the maximum RTT any
packet could incur is 2*minRTT for a given path. This is such that
TCPs at the host have a way to decide when a packet surely must have
been lost (by timing it out accordingly).

Obviously, realtime UDP-based applications might require a different
behaviour, but most of the Internet thus far has been optimised to
carry TCP traffic, which still accounts for the bulk of the data.

	Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg at nlanr.net>
NLANR MNA at SDSC/UCSD			Page:  <joerg at vodafone.net.nz>