[e2e] Queue size of routers

Bruce bruce_reid202 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 18 05:10:29 PST 2003

even if one says i can have a delay*bw queue

1. is the queue length determinisitic in the present scenario? site a being
closer that site B etc is still possible, isnt it?
2. if not, the only people who know its not happening are the "end points"
of the session

also, buffering is fine, but the only purpose the buffer serves is when one
oversubscribes the bandwidth

so making "desired bandwidth"=available bandwidth is still a better
option........

yes, if the buffer was a caching buffer etc, it would make more sense to do
the idea suggested.....

let us assume i remove flow control from the host side

what we then have is:
1. hosts pumping out data as they feel, the network has to sustain the same
2. packets lost, no one has no idea why..i simply ask for a retrasmit and do
away with sliding window.
3. a good way to look at 2 in todays scenarios is that "packets lots are
really lost...not delayed"
4. dont adjust the window size....simply set a larger MTU per request and
syn-ack each frame, not a "window" this implies i send more data per
frame....and i need to ensure all the paths in the route support it. but one
still needs to see if the "frame got there" to make the upper layers work

 -Bruce